View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2020, 05:06 PM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
no, no, leave shock-bolt alone. It needs to clamp shock in place without added complications of extra-length and spacers.

Just use plate on inside of frame-hole with nut welded to it. Even better, on outside of plate, weld on washer with same OD as ID of frame-hole. That will keep plate centered over hole so you can make sure everything is aligned. Use 8mm bolt @ 33-lb*ft with blue Loctite and star-lockwasher to clamp to frame. No vibrations possible!

As for cutting hole in bodywork, I prefer precision and cutting just enough to clear. Check out photo of slider on my CBR600RR below. Hole is perfectly centered and touches slider all around.

1. make copy of frame-bolt, longer outside length +2-3" as necessary to contact bodywork.
2. spin bolt on mini-lathe and make pencil-like sharp tip on outside
3. install bolt in place of original frame-bolt with double-nuts so you can spin it in & out
4. install body-work on bike, every nut and bolt tightened so it's locked in final position
5. reach in and unscrew your custom pencil-bolt outwards so it contacts bodywork
6. tap lightly on bodywork with rubber-mallet on outside so sharp point of bolt makes mark.
7. remove bodywork and use mark as centre for hole-saw of appropriate size to cut hole. Be sure to hold drill on-axis with frame bolt

Luckily I found hole-saw of exact diameter as slider, so I was able to cut hole of perfect size with slip-fit over slider. Otherwise I'd have to go one size smaller, then use dremel to open up hole gradually until it cleared. Important part is to mark centre perfectly first.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote