Thread: Selling Price??
View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:13 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The optimal price point is what the market will bear and not one penny more... because it won't sell if you don't meet the market where it is.

Farkles never bring what you paid for them. At best, they're the deciding factor between sale and no sale.

"Custom paint" is often code for "The bike was trashed so I painted it." That's what people expect. So if you've got before/after, that would be good, plus be prepared to demonstrate that the bike has not been crashed (i.e. there should be no telltale signs like scratches, bent stuff, etc.).

All else being equal, I'd rather buy a bone-stock bike that I can see is clean with my own eyes, rather than a farkled bike that might have had shiny baubles added to hide the fact that the original stuff has been damaged. This is also why I never throw away stock hardware. I can either show it to the buyer, or reinstall it and sell the upgrades separately.

Gut tells me that all the upgrades would be worth a bump of a couple of hundred tops, over going market rate. Stickers? Really? Please.

To get the current market rate in your area, look at ads for similar bikes. Recognize that 14k, while WE know it's not a big deal if the bike has been cared for, will turn most buyers off. It affects value.

I find that a useful starting point is to look up KBB retail vs. trade-in and split the difference. That way you can point to a source and say "look, this is a fair deal for both of us." That's never failed.

If you think your fancy paint job and Akra exhaust are going to boost the value up over KBB retail, you're deluding yourself IMHO.
^ This.

Keep this in mind when you have someone actually show-up and look at it. Price it realistically, but be prepared to drop to the lower end when pushed - if you want to sell it reasonably quick.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote