View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by randycastell View Post
Greetings all. Please allow me to show and tell. Well, in 30+ years of riding I've never suffered damage from aerial debris hitting my moto while riding, but yesterday a projectile was tossed in the air by the car in front of me in the fast lane on the 880N in Berzerkely CA. I was unhurt and kept riding to my destination, but my center left hand side cowling is toast. Kawasaki Part #5507-5287-45L is US$447. I filed a claim with Geico ($200) deductible. I figure this ABS plastic cowling is not so strong or flexible to resist much contact with anything at high speed and I wonder if any in our community has suffered this type of incident. I decided to purchase a cheap black 17 piece fairing kit off eBay and substitute the inexpensive set for the pricey clothes she's currently wearing, saving those for when she's vintage and ready for a refurbish.
A few years back I was traveling East on Route 80 in New Jersey in an itty biity Nissan Sentra. I was in the middle of the three lanes. A tractor trailer traveling in front of me about 10-12 car lengths tossed the tread off of one of his recapped tires. The tire carcass was airborne at about 25-30 feet in the air and appeared to be headed right for my windshield. My right hand lane was open and I moved into it. Fortunately the tire carcass hit the guardrail on the left side of the fast lane. It was only a close call but could have been a disaster. Things could have been different. It probably would have killed me on my bike.

Bill