Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:17 PM   #44
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Jon -

If you're the Grande I think you are, I'm in your father's band (Generation Blues). Didn't know you were a member here!

Given how long you've been trying to sell your bike I'm sure you know this by now, but a little insight from a guy who's bought and sold a ton of stuff over the years:

1) You clearly have a price target you want to hit. Recognize up front that goals like this are meaningless and will only serve to kill the sale. ANYTHING can be sold in a heartbeat at the right price. The bike is worth exactly what the market will bear and not a penny more. Expecting anything different is fantasy.

2) The harsh reality is that stuff that is of value to you doesn't matter. Low mileage and good condition might tip the scales on a sale, but will not add a penny to the bike's value. See above. That SE decal package that Kawasaki charges hundreds for is worth precisely nothing. Same for the aftermarket farkles (seat cowl, smoked windshield, rim stripes). When you look at the bike you see 1142 miles on the clock. I see tires that are nearing 10 years old and are probably getting pretty darned hard by now.

4) A fair starting point for valuation is to visit KBB.com, look up the dealer retail and trade-in values, and split 'em in half. I've never failed to sell when doing this. The rationale is that it's fair to both buyer and seller. It's also a starting point and if you want to actually sell the bike soon, aim a bit lower. Your time and your hassle has value. It's worth it to accept a bit less and be done with it.

Current KBB retail for a 2010 Ninja 250R in our area is $2575. Current trade-in is $1735. Splitting the difference gives you $2135. That number will only go down over time.

Advertise that bike for $1999 firm on CL, provide the KBB pricing info as support and you stand a reasonable chance of selling the bike within a couple of weeks. Or start at $2100 (weird number signals that you want to dicker) and take $2k.

To be perfectly honest, if I had room in my marriage for a third bike I'd buy it from you. I could use a commuter bike. But circumstances at the moment prevent that.

Other ideas: Find the local MSF course schedule, take the bike to the parking lot where they're holding it, and put a FOR SALE sign on it. Keep doing this. Target your market!

Good luck!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.