View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #61
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
He's saying that 14.7:1 (14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio) isn't what you always want in a gasoline engine.

For maximum horsepower (in a gasoline powered engine) you tune to achieve a 12.1:1 to 13.1:1 air to fuel ratio.

For maximum fuel efficiency (in a gasoline powered engine) you tune to achieve about a 16.0:1 air to fuel ratio.

Here it is again, copied from a website devoted to fuel injection tuning:

To make maximum power, we want more fuel than stoich. (richer, aka. lower AFR), because we want to be sure to consume ALL the oxygen (even if a little fuel is unburned). Typical full power AFR are 12:1 to 13:1 for gasoline. This is because it is the air flow that limits power (not fuel flow),
To get maximum fuel efficiency, we want to make the mixture a little leaner (higher AFR, about 15:1 to 16:1) than stoich to be sure of burning all the fuel,
To get minimum emissions, we want to run stoich. (14.7:1) as much as possible.
Thanks, I know how and what to tune for. I didn't understand his first statement

Quote:
Thats with the old style O2's, narrow band. With the new wide band O2's, it reads them all the time.
I'm not sure what "it" he's referring to.

Also, You should note that your numbers refer to naturally aspirated engines. Forced induction engines require richer numbers, unless you run E85.