View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #28
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
The amount of counter steer to initiate is not huge. Then the bars fall into the direction of the turn to actually catch the falling bike. It's the only way to steer at speed ... how else was he steering?
It isn't huge, but how much depends on your speed and degree of the turn. However through the turn the countersteer is continued on throughout the turn. When you come out of the turn and without much coaxing, you bring the bars back to straight. The gyroscopic motion of the tires creates an effect where the bike wants to be standing straight up. If you bring the bars past straight and into the direction of the turn the bike stand up and you will then be forcing the bike to begin turning in the opposite direction, making an S pattern. This would be doing for making the SMIDSY maneuver. Next ride you go on try turning your bars into the direction of the turn. The bike will want to go the opposite direction and you will be fighting that with over exaggerated lean. This is a crash waiting to happen. Hopefully this it's not how you are taking corners or just think that it's how you are doing it. Go out and try it and if you catch yourself turning the bars anywhere past straight and into the same direction of the turn. Park the bike and Google that ****. I may have only 3 years and 23,000 miles of riding under my belt, but this is the physics of it and was taught by an ex CHiPs officer. Not trying to start an argument or sound like know it all, but the laws of physics that control a motorcycle are not something that I just made up. Here is a good picture out how the front tire looks in a turn while using counter steering correctly.

This is what i picture when watching the full video of the guy riding before the crash. Watch the full vid again of the guy riding before the crash and you should immediately see how he is steering like he is out on the beach riding a 1950's schwinn cruiser.

Link to original page on YouTube.
Once again, not trying to be an ass to you but there are so many crashes out there due to people not being trained properly on how steer a motorcycle. The only time my bars are turned in the direction i am turning is during slow maneuvers such as in a parking lot.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote