View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:06 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post

I would love to have half this control over a motorcycle... I have eyes on the beta x trainer 300 but also have eyes on my grossly inadequate bank account .. anyway, enjoy!

*edit, I dont know how to embed youtube videos

The beta xtrainer 300 looks like an amazing bike for technical riding and trials type shenanigans. Full sized motor, tamed down for low rev grunt, smaller frame, lower seat, lighter than full sized enduro what is not to like. Rumor is they might be coming out with a 250cc version this year or next. Would love to have either. Almost bought a 300rr from Gaithersburg when i bought my 250x, i was feeling lazy and didn't want to do the drive but been loving the 250x so i think i made the right choice, it's definitely more my style.

I think it is tricky to learn precise technical skills like in this video on a full sized enduro type bike unless you already have a very solid base. The consequences of mistakes when on a full sized bike feel quite real/apparent vs like a trials bike not to mention cost of repairs I have been getting a good bit better at some of my large rock hoping on my 250x but even then you screw up sometimes, everyone does. I botched a rock hop last weekend on a 2.5 ft high square table type rock and bashed my underside of the bike good, made me cringe. I have a good skid plate but thought i destroyed the pipe but it must have just missed, no noticeable damage. Instances like that still make me a little timid when it comes to trying certain obstacles. I want to do it, not worried about getting hurt, just don't want to destroy my bike

With that being said, a solid skill base often begins with a smaller easier to control bike, once mastered there they transfer up to a larger bike quite well. All these newer top pro enduro riders all have a trials riding back ground. They mastered all this stuff on a trials bike before they moved to a full sized enduro.

That 125 drz you have is perfect for working on technical skills, i used to practice on my wifes klx125. They are great for practicing balance especially for wheelies, nose wheelies, pivot turns, log hops you name it. Practice on that 125 they are surprisingly capable and everything is a bit easier with less consequence and it will pay off and the skills will transfer over quite well.

I was jumping fairly large logs on our klx125 with no problem, those bikes are beasts

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote