View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #9
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Did you just say "Hey, can I connect my Excel to the database?" As an IT guy, there are some IT jerks out there who simply like to tell people no. However, most of the time, we're saying no to truly bad/clueless ideas. If you can explain to them what you're wanting to do and how you want to do it, you may be able to work out a solution together. There's a big difference between "Can I have full access to the databases?" and "I'd like to automate some of this repetitive work by doing blah, which requires access to the database."

I explained it all to them. I told them that the other locations can also use this but they said no. I explained in full details and they still said no. They rather fix frozen screens and locked password accounts.

I can still do my work, I just have to export several queries to excel and create a few pivot tables out of them.

From what I see, they are not too into developing the system, just maintaining it. It's not the first request they turned down from me. I'm all about finding ways to do work faster/easier but I guess not all poeple are.