View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
250 Ninja Nitrous

OK lets talk about nitrous oxide. There is only one CHEAP way to double the power of any engine and that is to add nitrous. There are a lot of ways to do it

At Maxton we had three systems on 250 cc motorcycles . My bike uses Boss Noss .The revolutionary new way of delivering nitrous .I went 121.8 mph and the clutch was slipping .

The 250cc Honda used the Wizards of nitrous system.It is a British system and works very well he has the fastest 250 at 126.6 mph

And the worlds fastest Ninja went 122.4 on the conventional nitrous system.

All these systems work well and there are a number of other systems that will work . The key is to be conservative and use a data logger to record the air fuel ratio and RPM so you can tune and diagnose problems.

I am still in the trail and error stage of testing. Pushing the envelope will result in engine failure. That is not because of the nitrous but doubling or tripling the power output of an engine makes the margin of error very narrow.

for instance I made seven nitrous passes at Maxton. I did not realize the clutch was slipping. It was slipping because the stock clutch will only hold 40 hp. And at 122 mph the clutch will slip because it is pushing against the wall of air.
I set my timing at the 35 deg BTDC. That is a stock new ninja timing setting. With 115 octane fuel I had no detonation and about 9.6 to 1 air fuel ratio.
I changed the timing setting to the 42 deg of timing thats the timing setting a first gen Ninja would use .BIG mistake. I also started spraying in 5th gear. I hit 120 in 1/2 a mile and poured on the nitrous. Again the clutch let go at about 121 mph .BUT the timing advance added a LOT of heat to the top of the piston.The A/F ratio was perfect but the top of the piston burned.

SO now I know to much timing is bad. I still have to get a better clutch . I have Barnett springs and a Barnett clutch .But it slipped .I am going to try the Barnett clutch kit they sell with fiber discs and new steels .I hope that works.

AS for nitrous .I have about 33 hp all motor and the bike will hit 112+ in about 1/2 mile then with nitrous.I am spraying a 20 hp shot .It is like I was riding along half throttle and then roll to full throttle. It feels great and I cant wait to sort out the clutch issue
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote