Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
........ The secret sauce is in the timing, you have to be off the brakes and back on the throttle before the load on the front is too much for the front contact patch to bear or the rear is too unweighted for the patch to hold as cornering forces increase.
As always, an excellent response from you, Chris.

Translating that into my world: street riding, I would say that there are many good opportunities for applying quick-flick, and maybe a minimal, if not zero situations, to deep or stretched trail-brake.

It is great that you mention timing.
A smooth transition from brake to throttle, the type that keeps the front suspension compressed, requires that the rider takes at least one second to release the brake lever while simultaneously feeding the engine with gas, which is technically trail braking.

The MSF teaching for basic turning is as effective as safe for street riding:
* For sequence: Slow-Look-Press (Lean)-Roll (Accelerate)
* For turn-in points: Wide and late (delayed apex), for max visibility and time to react to hidden/sudden dangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
........ Also, the red line in your image depicts a classic rider error and very applicable to both questions just asked. Can you spot what it is?
I would say that the error is early turn-in point or heading for the curb too soon or not wide enough, which induces a wide running during exit.

Again, thanks for taking the time to clarify my question.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cornering strategies.jpg (40.2 KB, 8 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.