View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:40 AM   #20
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I have a tendency to overthink things and not always feel confident when trying things for the first time, so please just bear with me on this.

I would like to start practicing on my new bike but I'm not sure how to do it. I have the MSF book that came with the bike that details all the exercises so I'm good on what to do just not how to get to the parking lot. The closest good lot that stays empty and is big enough is about 2 miles away. To even get off my road I have to go up a kind of steep hill and stop at the crest of it and make a left onto a busy road with a blind hill on the right. People come FLYING over that hill. Then I have to make it through 2 busy intersections and multiple other lights to get to this lot.

There isn't much room on my street now during the times that I would be able to practice (the neighboring twinplex has multiple cars parked on the road over the weekends, plus the potholes take up practice space as well.

All of you had to start somewhere....any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
It sounds like your street is a dead-end?

If not, does it connect to other residential/low traffic local streets where you can practice ?

Keep practicing on your street, until you are comfortable with the friction zone, shifting up / down into 2nd.

Make a RIGHT turn at the top of the hill ?

Ride along, then make a u-turn at first flat / safe spot ?

If you haven't already found it here is probably the *second* best motorcycle site (after Ninjettes of course !) :

Motorcycle Safety / riding tips
https://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

https://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp

You might try posting a hello-anybody-near-me? message there.

Looking through the members list, there seems to be quite a few Ohio'ans.
Before I started riding, I did exhaustive research and reading on bike techniques and maneuvers. I then, ignoring the nervous jitters, started feeling out the bike in my back yard, getting to know the friction zone and brakes. Then, I picked a day where I was off and got up so that I would ride at a time that traffic was minimal. I then just got on and rode, going through the techniques which I read through, linked by @mst. I took my time, got to know the bike, I made my mistakes, and I learned. Looks like that is how you are going to have to do it, if no one can get your bike one way or another to the lot you have allotted for practice.

If you can't or won't get there on your own, try this link:

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

They provide the bikes, so you don't have to worry about your nice bike suffering the initial growing pains. You need your permit, if you don't have it already, it only costs $50, and they give you a waiver for the road test! I recommend you do this class either way though.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote