View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2022, 10:10 AM   #93
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Going to a larger piston will increase the force required at the lever. Are you saying you like it better, having to squeeze harder?
Jim, I wanted to modify my previous account of that mc: you were right, it is harder to squeeze. Not hard, but not as light as the stock piece. Overall I think I'm going to stick with it as it seems to provide some more overall "bite" and power to the front brake, and I like the adjustable lever.

Your comment got me thinking about front brake feel though and how subjective that can be. Over on the SVRider forum, front mc upgrades are discussed an awful lot as the SV brakes leave a lot to be desired. The Ninjette is better from the factory in this department. After doing a bit of work to my SV, I'm okay with it but I would say this 250 has it beat.

Some of the track riders on the other forum vary quite a bit on what they say they like: light lever with a lot of progressive feel is what I have with my Brembo 16mm, all the way to those legitimately hard 19-20+mm Brembos and Accossatos on dedicated trackbikes. I watched an interview of a local racer here in SoCal named Josh Herrin who described his ideal brakefeel as "spongy" and soft/light. Most folks don't like spongy and brakes in the same sentence, but I feel what he's saying. My Brembo has a wonderful range of modulation between bite and lockup that could be described as spongy, sans the air in the lines

I'm getting used to this funky little Nissin 5/8 again. I used it for years on the SV and was accustomed to its wooden on/off characteristics which have not gone away It's much better on the 250 than it was on the 650, but I can see how my Brembo would be even better. I like having that extra bite over the stock piece, but this is not a complete upgrade - just a slightly better free part I had sitting in the garage.