View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2022, 04:37 PM   #95
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL that is the truth there ! Lighten me would be a bigger change than anything on the bike I think..... but at max I could only loose about 10lbs
I'm 185lbs now and the lightest I've been sense 25 yrs old was 175lbs
and that was from very hard Hot work.... I think I sweated it off ! LOL.
....I wonder if I took off all the california Sh*t they have on it for emission control would that amount to much weight or not.... I kind'a doubt it as it's mostly empty cans and hoses..... maybe change all the hoses to something lighter.... because I bet there are 5 lbs of hoses on that thing ! and they are ALL High quality hoses.... putting thin vinyl hoses on the thing might change things by a pound or two.... I dunno... but I do know the vinyl hoses are no good when it comes to vacuum as they collaps .... so that's probably not a good idea.
there is a bunch of plastic on that bike too.... but plastic doesn't weigh that much... I bet I could put it all in a pile and it wouldn't even top 10 lbs including the full fairings ! yes the headlight support and fairing is quite heavy at least 20 lbs there.... but you need interments and lights ! so that's kind'a needed... it could be replaced though with much lighter and better things I think... like LED lights and a digital speedo and tach.their not too expensive and getting rid of the interment panel alone would be a big savings in weight....
... I remember seeing a guys Triumph all set up for flat track and he said the whole bike was less than 200lbs.... I don't know if I believe that as the triumph engine he had weighed 110lbs.. ! but he bought a super light frame and swing arm and replaced the forks with something else... he had Pirelli mt-53's on it front and rear .... that tells you how long ago this was !...
but 70hp on 200lbs would be a monster there is no doubt about that.
but unless you go to that kind of extent I don't think your going to lighten up the ninja all that much it's all of 350lbs and it's all in use if you re made the entire frame in aluminum you might gain a 100lbs but that is ambiguous as the frame you make is going to weigh alot too so i dunno !
about the only thing I can see that is easy is the stock muffler as it is a boat anchor .... any good flow through muffler is better than it is I think.
muffler, rear foot pegs.... take out the tools and that is about it ! I can't really see where you could gain that much on the Ninja 250
what do you think ? what have you done to lighten yours ?
Bob.......