View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #1
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Gixxer rear shock question - rear stiffness too high

I installed a gixxer rear shock on my 2008 250. The shock was off a 2008 750 and the rider was about 210 lbs. I used the stock 250 swingarm and linkages, but I had to get all new bolts and some spacers. I also had to grind the clevis of the shock to accept the 250 linkage. I've checked everything over a couple times and I can't find anything obvious that is binding. The rear of the bike feels almost solid - as in I'm not getting the linkage to travel. It seems as if the shock is stiffer than the subframe and the swingarm. When I push on the rear end, I feel like the movement I'm getting is the subframe and swingarm flexing instead of the shock compressing, but I honestly can't tell if that's what is happening or if it's in my head. My guess is that the settings on the shock are set pretty heavy and I need to lighten them up a bit. I don't have everything back on the bike yet and I'm wondering if the chassis is too light.

Has anyone else had this issue? When you installed the gixxer shock, did the swingarm still have a lot of travel or did the rear seem almost solid?

cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote