Old October 18th, 2021, 11:07 AM   #36
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but adjusting a tq value due to an anti-seizing lubricant would defeat the purpose, no? If a bolt is spec'd to 10ft/lbs, the anti-seize just makes sure you are as close to that value as possible by preventing the bolt from seizing before you hit the required torque value. It makes your torquing more precise.

I guess you would have the option to adjust the torque value from 10ft/lbs to 10.0ft/lbs
Never-Seez recommends a 30% reduction in specified torque values when using their regular anti-seize product. I didn't know that when I was 18 and used it on the threads of the head bolts of my 427 boat engine. I used the Chevy specified value of 80 lb-ft and pulled the threads out of the block in a couple places, requiring Helicoils to repair them. It seems that the little metal spheres in the compound are very slippery.

They recommend various torque reductions for their various products, so if you're using one, you need to read about it before you tighten bolts with it on the threads.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote