Old April 13th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #27
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by triptronix View Post
MotoFool, do you have one for highway riding lane postions/on ramp/off ramp exits etc?
Tony,

Unfortunately, I don't have one for that.

Couple of tips for highway riding:

Constantly switching lanes is not the best approach, in my experience.

The car or truck next to you has much more power to sweep you away that those in front and behind you (rear ends are only 2% of all the motorcycle's accidents).

You have control over the car in front, keeping distance and away from the center of the lane (from where debris will suddenly come to you).

Move over for tailgaters after a little time, or, if not possible, slow down progressively until the driver decides to go around.

Speed up or slowdown as needed to stay away from blind spots and never idle next to a car/truck, even if it is far from your side. Check the mirrors before slowing down.

Make an effort to never be between a car /truck and an exit/off ramp, even if the thing is traveling on a far lane: some drivers love dive-bomb at the last second.

Look far away (as much as a mile) and scan for debris, road snakes/steps/potholes and crazy-behaving drivers, constantly make an evasive plan and have at least one escape way.
Staying on either side of your lane will facilitate seeing by the side of the cars in front of you.

There is only one reason to be in the middle of the lane: while you are moving over one or more lanes; in which case you want to be there the minimum time possible and keeping an eye on whatever could suddenly come from underneath that car.

Use your peripheral view for scanning near situations and never keep your eyes on a distraction for more than 1/10 second (avoid target fixation and distractions).

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...a_trained_eye/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...cs_code_break/

Make evasive maneuvers (which you should practice weekly on a parking lot) a priority over sudden braking, because at high speeds your bike will need many feet/meters to stop, and more importantly, cars following you will take even more distance (if the driver is paying attention and attempts braking behind you).

Personally, I move over the faster lanes as soon as I leave the acceleration/on ramp, because I prefer going fast than being tangle in the slow traffic merging on and off ramps.

In Florida, we have HOV lanes or high occupancy vehicles' lanes that allow motorcycles on it and I always use because I have the left shoulder as a way to escape any bad situation.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.