Old November 25th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #25
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Your not the first person I've head mention ear plugs while riding. I remember reading a motorcycle road test in a magazine article and the rider mentioning that he always wore ear plugs while riding. I'm a-little nervous about wearing ear plugs being afraid I might not hear something I need to to avoid an accident or fail to hear an unusual/unnatural engine noise. I am tempted to try wearing ear plugs sometime. I have a few pair that I use while target practicing at the shooting range. I think I'll give it a try next riding season. I do think I have suffered some hearing loss as a result of being exposed to wind noise and loud exhausts.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Bill, although I've been conscious of protecting my ears since my teens, I didn't think of ear plugs in my early days of riding. In the last decade I've worn ear plugs, and find that I can hear sounds around me when riding just as well as without them. The plugs just lower all the noise to a safe level, and when I get home and take them out, I suddenly hear all the low level sounds around me as if I hadn't ridden that day.

The roll-up-insert-and-expand type foam plugs are available in different sound reduction levels. I like the yellow ones, but a friend uses grey ones that don't cut noise as much. So even with those cheap ones, you can choose the level noise you want.
I use the Shooting Earplugs that you can get at Cabellas. Conversations are difficult, but dulling the hearing sense, heightens the other senses including the visual. I can actually hear the bike noises better, and the plugs filter out the obnoxious wind noise and makes the rides soothing. Ear plugs = Less distractions.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote