View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #1
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Mechanikrazy's Progress

I figured this would be an interesting way to document anything that happens to the bike as well post up videos of trackdays to come. After a few years away from riding due to grad school, I finally got a bike last year. I'm open to any critiques or insights from people also if anyone bothers to look at my videos. Haha.

I did one trackday in 2015 at Shenandoah at Summit Point. It was a ton of fun and I met some great folks. I'm hoping to do more this coming year.

_____
Shenandoah
Transportation method: F-150 from RelayRides. This was a bad call. I did not realize how tall the beds are for the new F-150s now.

Progress: For a first time back and first time at Shenandoah, I thought it went decently. The stock IRC tires were fine at the slow pace I was going. I was able to get from a 2:41 lap in the first session to a 2:17 in the last session. My body positioning was all kinds of messed up. I did not remember to rotate my inside foot a bit, so I could not get my knee out. I kept wondering what was wrong when I touched down my toe sliders twice, but then I watched Ken Hill's foot position video and it all came back to me. We'll see if I can actually apply it next time out.

I had a good time in the last session trying to stay with a Gixxer (starts at the 7 minute mark)

Link to original page on YouTube.

______
This year.

I am putting on track fairings for track days. This way, I will worry less about binning it, while keeping the oem fairings for street days. I bought the bike with a lot of nice modifications already, but I still got into a give a mouse a cookie syndrome while browsing the forums and ebay. The prices on some things were too good for me to say no. I'm hoping to drop some more time, and maybe go TPM racing after another season of trackdays.

The bike:

• Catalyst Composite fairings
  • Woodcraft clip ons
  • Vortex Rearsets
  • Woodcraft under fairing sliders
  • R&G case covers
  • Hel front brake line (custom line with a 45degree fitting as the "normal Spieger line" rubs with the clip ons. The line had rubbed through the plastic coat with the previous owner, so I didn't quite feel comfortable with it)
  • Spieger rear brake line
  • Two Brothers Full Exhaust
  • PowerCommanderV
  • SSR preload adjusters

I'm going to try stop at this, and actually learn to ride the thing. I've already told myself that I won't allow even a rattlecan paint job until I can get significantly faster and more consistent.

Now, I'm just looking to getting better at my riding.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.