Thread: '92 rebuild
View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2021, 10:27 AM   #46
BonelessSugar
ninjette.org member

Name: Cashby

Motorcycle(s): EX250-F x 3, TW200, NPS50

Assembled carb before cleaning.

Separated carb before cleaning. That top metal fitting on the left carb should've been removed because there's a gasket inside there, but I didn't realize that. This is the piece that I talk about with my gasket pic.

Reassembled and cleaned carb. You can see the new hose clamps I put on here.

New allen-head hardware.

The bowl gaskets are waiting until I have a new float after mine snapped when I dropped it while trying to blow on it with pressurized air. There's a left-over gasket for the fuel fitting on the carb because I didn't take it off of one of them. I might take apart the carb again and replace this gasket, but I probably won't. Also, I didn't take apart the air cut valve because it seemed unnecessary.

Carbs and parts are bagged (some double-bagged). 2 bags for carb bodies, 2 bags for carb internals so they don't get mixed up, 1 bag for hardware to hold the carbs together. Diaphragms and plastics were not soaked or cleaned. The white labels on the bags wore away from the cleaner after about 2 days. These were soaked for 5 days.

Pine-Sol being filtered for uses after this.

I didn't notice these gaskets when disassembling, only found them when assembling.

There's some sort of green tape or something on the sides of the throttle plates of both carbs. It's starting to peel off on one portion.

This is the water from half of everything that was cleaned. I replaced it after this. Unfortunately, the cleaner was too small for a full submerge of the whole carb, so I did one side at a time. Everything got 5min*2 on heat at 10:1 water:simple green.

Cleaned parts of a carb

Everything was run through cleaner twice. The order of these pics are Pine-Sol, first cleaning, second cleaning. I can't tell any difference between the last two.

Here's a close-up comparison of needles after cleaning. The first is before blowing off with compressed air, the second is after.

Here's a close-up comparison of a part of the carb before and after cleaning. I used a pick to remove the big pieces of rubber, then soaking and cleaning and pressurized air got rid of what was left. I've found that the ultra-sonic cleaner only works well on stains and surface contaminants and doesn't do a good job at disintegrating large thick things like old gasket material.

Next up is gas tank cleaning (first, so that I can start running the bike) and plastic welding (second). The rubber stopper for the gas tank cleaning is fully trimmed, I bought one that was way too big. I'll take some measurements when cleaning the tank, and am waiting for the black silicon gasket on the petcock area to dry right now.
BonelessSugar is offline   Reply With Quote