View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2021, 01:56 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Unfortunately past experience says that the manufacturers will make them proprietary to force you to buy their product. If two manufacturers would get together and use a common battery, I'd vote for one of them with my wallet.
Maybe, but I was thinking a little differently. If the battery size / shape for motorcycles becomes commoditized, there is no advantage for spending the money to make one proprietary. It isn't going to differentiate the end product and find more customers - so then it becomes like a Bosch ECU or Brembo ABS module, where all manufacturers are basically buying the same component with a little customization rather than having to engineer their own. There is a built-in incentive for manufacturers to make their products less expensive to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonelessSugar View Post
Check out Gogoro.
That's actually a good example. It only exists because of huge governmental backing (funding of the majority of the battery changing stations) and VC money taking a bet on the future. Right now it is horrendously unprofitable, and would fail within weeks if it had to live with its own financials.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote