View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #24
FreelancerMG
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2001 V-Star 1100 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
I've used it once or twice in Illinois, usually left turns where it's left on green arrow only (only the dumbest thing I've ever seen)

but you do know about "cow magnets" don't you?

if not, Cow magnets are very strong magnets used to prevent "hardware disease" in bovine live stock. Because cows eat a lot of baled hay and processed grain, it's possible to get sharp bits of metal in their feed. Cows are fed a magnet that sit in the first stomach and picks up the metal before it gets to the other more tender and more easy to damage stomachs.

I attached two of them to the belly pan of my TLR.

the "sensor" for most traffic signals is a ferromagnetic loop (metal detector) when you pass a magnet over the sensor loop it sees it as a big truck or other vehicle.

It got rid of most of my "dead reds" but there is still one light on my commute that is totally blind to me, totally.

this is what they look like, it's sticking to another magnet that is on the back side of my hand, and my hand is vertical in this pic.

zip tied it to a bit of wood rod through the drain hole in the bottom of my belly pan. It's amazing how much small metal debris you pick up, every time I wash the bike I'm picking iron bits off the magnets.

Induction loops work by measuring eddy currents which are generated by ferrous metal passing through the field. A magnet alone, itself wont generate higher strength or more eddy currents due to eddy currents purely being a function of surface area vs distance from the loop. Having a small steel plate stuck to the bottom of the belly pan would work just as well if not better than that magnet due to a greater surface area and not slowly accumulating random bits of steel and iron underneath the bike.
FreelancerMG is offline   Reply With Quote