View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2020, 05:03 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekallo View Post
Yes both will idle cold without choke yes. As much as they are acting the same, they are adjusted to both the same specs as well.

It is steady 15-25 deg C here (70*F)

From my calculations they are 2-2.5 turns out at the moment. That was where I intended to set them after being warmed up and idling using the 90* adjustment screw driver.

They have not been synced lately, but were completely soaked, cleaned, and rebuilt 3 times over (to make sure they will perfectly clean) roughly 250 miles ago.

Fuel is fresh.

Air filters haven’t been cleaned or oiled lately, I will do that tomorrow.

I did suspect that they were running rich. Plugs are a little black vs tan.

After an idle mixture adjustment and air filter cleaning, is there another way to lean these out? Spacer under the needle? Obviously re jetting is an option but I can’t see how that should be required if exhaust and intake is stock.

Thanks so much for the help.
That would suggest there is a carb issue. Most need a fair amount of choke (enrichener) to start, and some to keep running when cold.

Remove the air filter and go for a quick spin. It should run better if it is significantly rich. Spacers/washers under the needles will make the mixture richer.

I'm thinking something in the carbs are not right. Either the Jet Needle is not in place or the enrichener is not closing. But it's odd that they both do the same thing at the same time.

Oil the air filters sparingly. I prefer a spray air filter oil (1 light/medium coat only) instead of saturating and squeezing.

Stock Main Jet tends to be rich, but not that rich. Pilot jets are fine, and idle mixtre screws are usually in the 2 to 2.5 turns out range. The midrange (Needle Jet and Jet Needle) tend to be on the lean side, and adding a washer or 2 usually helps - but I wouldn't do that until it's running normally.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.