View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2020, 09:54 PM   #20
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekallo View Post
So we just got back from a little ride.

Both bikes turned 1/4-1:8 off of seated. They will still start without the choke but would idle really low. No choke I adjusted the idle to 2000 and off we went. After a km or two the rpms dropped below 1000 and needed some throttle to stay running.

I adjusted my idle back up more to 2000, and by the next stop sign it was revving high 4-5k again. Adjusted back down and again, would die out if you didn’t give it a touch of throttle.

After a few more miles same thing. Idle adjustment almost MORE sensitive than before.

Decided to turn around and head home. Will try a new setting in the morning before heading to work on the 05
Ok, this is close to stock behavior. Don't adjust idle-speed, use choke instead when it's cold start. That's why there's choke-lever on left handlebar. Then by next stop-sign when it's starting to rev up, lower choke gently to set revs around 2000rpms. By time it's fully warmed-up, you should be able to turn off choke completely. This is when you should have idle-speed set to 1500rpm and leave it there for good. Don't touch idle adjuster ever again, just use choke for cold starts.

Choke-cable on my EX250J isn't adjustable. There's about 3-5mm of initial lever-pull that doesn't move choke-lever on carbs. Maximum lever-pull is determined by max choke throw on carb. Reducing choke has carb reach stop just before lever hits end of travel. Might want to visually check your choke movement at carb to verify its movement matches lever without excessive play on either end.

Having mixture-screws close to fully closed for normal start behavior would definitely indicate too-large of pilot jets. However if it behaves like stock with them screwed in, that might balance things.

Next would be seeing how gas-mileage changes. Cruising is combination of pilot and needles/main-jets. So there should be improvement right away.

My '08 EX250J new-gen has 17-ltr tank. ZZR250 and EX250F pre-gens have 18-ltr tank. So I'm getting about 25-28 km/ltr with 15-ltr fill-ups..
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote