View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #35
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
Yes. If you're braking in the turn, then you've done something wrong. The proper procedure is to brake before the turn. Then accelerate through the turn.
That's pretty much it right there. I haven't low sided or high sided yet (and hopefully I never do on the public roads), but I had one incident where the bike became unstable mid-turn because I wasn't rolling on the throttle. It was a 90 degree right hand turn that kind of sweeps out a little bit at the end, so you can take it at a fairly good clip. I usually take this turn a little more aggressively than your typical, run of the mill right handers. Nothing insane mind you, just a little more "spirited".

So I brake, enter the turn, and hold the throttle steady (not rolling on, not rolling off). All of a sudden I feel the bike "dip" down as if it were about to fall on its side. The next half second is a little fuzzy, but afterwards, I managed to roll on the throttle and got the hell out of there. It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong, but my running theory right now is that by not rolling on the throttle through the turn, I allowed the bike to slow down too much making it unstable. Keith Code talks about this quite thoroughly in Twist II.

In any case, the overall lesson with turns is that you must commit....which can be counter intuitive to say the least. Chop the speed of the bike and get all your braking done before the turn, but once you initiate that turn, its all lean and throttle. If you have to apply trail braking on the street, you're definitely asking for it IMO. Oh and don't forget to look....unless you're Rossi or something.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote