View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #13
MtnCruiser
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2 2004 Ninja 250 and 2008 VTX 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Hey Tim. That sounds fun! We should arrange a ride for everyone who lives in the southeast. Hubby and I rode up to Helen and rode Hwys 17, 180, and 348. It was much cooler up in the mts, that's for sure!
So basically by shifting your weight rather than your whole body, does it just decrease the lean angle of the bike a little? Have you noticed it being a significant difference? Though I'm glad I learned the limits of my bike and kept my head about me during it, I'd like to not scrape anything again, obviously, so I'm trying to figure out the way to handle mountain twisties whether it's by maximizing the lean angle of the bike using my body? Or whether it's delaying my turn-in point on the twistie to make it more straight-lined. Thanks for the reply.
I live about 15 minutes from Helen so usually ride those roads every week, we decided since the weather was so nice that we would slip in a long ride. It would be great to get a bunch of 250's together up in the Mtn's.

Shifting you weight does affect the lean angle just not to the degree that completely hanging off would, but in many turns it is all you need to just give you that extra bit of clearance. Sometime when you are in a long sweeping turn at a safe speed you can shift your weight and see how it affects the bike. You can actually change the lean angle of the bike slightly just by moving your head inside or outside the axis of the bike. I like to watch guys on cruisers, it is amazing the number of them that try to lean their body away from the turn instead of into it.
MtnCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote