View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #35
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
All new riders will make mistakes. All! Some are minor mistakes like missing a shift or not rev matching correctly which jerks the bike. Others are bigger mistakes like poor judge of braking distance which may (or may not) get you hurt.

Going to a 600 or liter bike with a month of experience, do you really know what you're getting yourself into? You gain 15% in weight, but more than 150% in power.

If I were to make a rider error on a bike, I would prefer it to be on a lightweight 30hp bike vs a lightweight 130hp bike.

You haven't even experienced freeway speeds yet. You haven't been on a bike long enough to experience riding with traffic (or predicting traffic patterns yet).

Learn as much as you can on an inexpensive small bike. It's cheaper to insure and easier to learn on. The rider triangle is less aggressive and you can generally see traffic better when you're not bent forward over the bars all the time.

After a few thousand miles and priceless experiences you've learned, move up to a more aggressive bike if you like. Just my opinion.

I personally started on a 900. Then a 600. Then a 650. Then a 250. I feel that I wouldve been a much more skillful rider earlier on had I reversed the order of ownership.

To this day, I still consider myself a noob. I still learn each and every time I'm on the bike.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote