Thread: Fork Brace
View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:45 PM   #54
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycastell View Post
You seem to present yourself as very knowledgable and experienced: why would you be asking me what a fork brace does for handling? Please read an earlier post of mine after fitment to get a sense of my experience, observation and opinion. In a few words brother: It feels really good. Stiffer. Corners better on the roads I ride which are sadly a bit bumpy and out of shape. Take it easy. ;-)
Not trying to knock your experience or your ability to machine. I was asking in terms of performance what it did for you as I don't see any of your comments other than "works a treat". Also, when installing the brace were any other suspension mods done at the same time? That is important to know.
Believe it or not, one way that suspension works while leaned over is through flexing to provide bump compliance. This is because the sliders don't move as well when hitting a bump while leaned over and on the edge of the tire.
Some flexibility in the forks also provides good feedback or "feel". A fork can be too rigid and can give you the uncomfortable feeling that you are on the razor's edge but not really able to tell for sure what is going on with the front. So in that respect the "flexiness" of the Ninjette front end is not all bad because it has pretty good feel.
If you want to improve the performance of the front end on the 250/300 Ninja, the best place to start IMHO is correct springs for your weight, cartridge emulators and the correct oil. I did this on my racebike and I haven't had to touch a thing on the front end for two straight seasons.

Last futzed with by tgold; January 4th, 2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Clarify
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.