View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #310
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
Now don't take my word for this because I know nothing about turbos, but isn't the pressure before the turbo (hot side) greater that after the turbo (cold side) even when the waste gate is open?
A book could be written to answer that question. In basic terms a turbo is NOT a positive displacement air pump, its an variable displacement air pump. The RPM of the turbo is determined by engine load (the greater the load the more heat produced, the more heat the faster the turbo spins). The waste gate bypasses exhaust gas from before the turbine wheel to after it to reduce turbo RPM. A blow off valve can also be incorporated into the compressor side (intake side) of the system to bleed off excess pressurized air. That being said the pressure in the intake track prior to the intake valve (what i think your calling the hot side) can range from below atmosphere (vacuum as some call it) to whatever you have your boost pressure set to. Cylinder pressure (compression/power stroke) can range from 1000 to 3000 PSI depending on boost conditions.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote