View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I'm trying to figure out a battery issue with the Elite 80 scooter my wife's riding.

About a month ago I replaced the battery, and didn't have any issues when I was riding it. She's riding it to work and nothing else, so it only gets 4 miles per day. In Chicago traffic that's about 30 min though.

Yesterday was the 10th day of this riding pattern, and it had no juice after work. We jumped it and it started right up. This morning, no dice.

She did start riding with the high beam during the day last week, do high beams generally draw enough extra current to make a difference? Or is it just not getting enough high rpms to charge and it took 10 days to wear down?

Trying to figure out if it's the high beams or just the riding pattern, either way I think we'll need to give it some more use during the week or hook the battery up to my charger every weekend.
It's possible the charging system is kinda weak, and the short trips with the high beam on doesn't provide enough charging.

I would charge the battery on a charger to get it back up to 100%. It should read 12.7V if it's fully charged after sitting off of the charger for a while (it will read higher immediately after charging).

Put it back in and start it up. Read the voltage with the low beam on while at idle and while revving about 3000 or so. It should be over 13V when revving, and over the regular voltage (12.7) even at idle. Do the same with the high beam on. If it's lower with the high beam on it may not be enough charging to keep the battery from draining. Short rides at low RPMs doesn't provide as much charging as longer trips at higher RPMs.

That should tell you if the high beams are drawing too much for the charging system to handle.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote