View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2023, 03:45 PM   #8484
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

At one time I had a flexable extending magnet.... i have no idea what happened to that thing....haven't seen it in several years.... it probably melted in the ranch fire.
... but now I have just two magnets on rods that extend one is fairly strong and as big around as my little finger so it can get into most places, the other one is smaller but not as strong....
I had to take off the outside bearing cap again so I could get a straight ish shot with the magnet to go down in the chain tunnel to get the socket I dropped it wasn't too easy to get it down that far as the cam chain was in the way.... but I did finally get attached to it and it held it nicely.... so I carefully extracted it being real careful to not knock it off again.......
I remember taking the magnet off the handle one time to attach it to a piece of doubled bailing wire so I could fish a washer out of a valve valley on a v-8 I was working on one time.... so that does work as well... but I would be real careful about putting a magnet on a wire and doing that as the magnet will stick real solidly on the gears down in the bottom of the tunnel.... it needs to be attached very good to your
wire... like a hook around the magnet and taped on real good.... because if that magnet comes off the wire you'll have to take off the clutch side plate to get the magnet back out !.
I had 2 pair of finger grabbers as well... I know they both melted in the ranch fire
but they were as good as a magnet some times in retrieving lost nuts and pieces inside things. even a cheap pair is better than nothing... the problem with those is you have to be able to see the item to pull it out... and many times you can't so a magnet is usually better... a strong magnet and not some 1/2" yellow square one I bought one of those and wound up destroying it as it was just too big to fit in holes it takes a small round
long magnet in most cases capable of lifting a heavy object....
Having the right tool for the Job is essential in most cases and this is no different.
...I've seen cheap magnets that I would be real reluctant on putting down inside an engine for fear of them braking at the first twist....if that happens you really have problems compounded now.....
my bigger extending magnet just pivots on the end of a extending teliscoping rod.
it got the socket out in about 3 trys.... it dropped it once and it fell down further and
all I could see was it's end.... but I finally got it out.... it was touch and go for a while though !
Bob......