View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2023, 10:28 PM   #8489
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

yah the one thing the ninja's do is handle well ! ... it's definitely not a laid back cruiser machine and it's hard for me to get into the sitting-swing-of-things
every time I get on it .... but it works very well
I still got a long way to go to get my 2012 all back together again and it's kind'a hard to believe I had to dismantle it so frigging far just to do a valve adjustment.... it's like what the heck were they thinking ? but I guess they weren't really..... it's not like they gave ANY consideration about the owner doing anything on the bike.... it says in the manual take it to your dealer ! I guess that is their answer !
last year when I was riding the Ninja I started pushing it a tiny amount in the corners and I felt the ass tuck in under the bike like the old W1 650 used to do
( BSA knock off by Kawasaki) and that was the first bike in decades that did that ! .... most bikes handle like refrigerators with wheels on them or at least that has been my experience anyway.... like the Honda Shadow 1100cc I had
it handled about as good as a Cadillac or old pontiac.... not a bike
it likes straight lines but not something with alot of twisties in it....
I could no more push that bike fast in the twisties than any bike I had owned ! that just was not it's thing !.... it's thing was the long haul and it could do that with ease....... loosing it to the Ranch fire really hurt too.... but I will never replace that big pig ! it was way too heavy to be practical ! ....
I told myself if I could not pick up a bike from laying down ...I would not ride it.... and I made myself that promise many decades ago ! and that bike was border line..... and my RX4 is also Borderline..... ....but it wasn't supposed to be ! it's only 450cc how can it be as heavy as the 1100cc Honda shadow?
it's all about weight distribution !!!! the RX4's weight is High on the COG
and the weight of the Honda 1100cc's weight was low and alot more, almost double the weight in fact.....
when I fill the gas tank on the RX4 I can tell the weight is really high on it !
..... but I did notice that the RX4 when it's set up just right can and will tuck it's ass under you on a sharp corner..... it does handle very well now if I could just reduce it's weight by 100 lbs I'ed be happy ! HAHAHAHA
for many years almost every bike being sold had a incredibly small gas tank.
and I suppose that is why all of a sudden there were after marker gas tanks that became available....they were really expensive though...now their price has come down but for a while they were sky high !
.... I'm wondering if I could get one of those 20ltr gas tanks for the DR650
and some how mount it on the RX4 how much of a weight savings would there be..... I would guess about 50 lbs ! (that tank, even when empty is heavy!)..... but then on the other hand it is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear....it just ain't happening !
sometimes it's just better and easier to get another bike from the get go !
Bob..........