View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2018, 02:03 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman View Post
Wow, if that’s true seems 95% of people are misinformed since so many people rave about the needle shimming.
Yup, getting cause & effect mixed up. I'd say that more than 95% of people did not buy their Ninja 250s as brand-new bikes off showroom floor. Thus they inherited unknown history with many, many stretches of long-term storage in garages, sheds, shacks without proper pre-storage preparation of fuel-stabilizers and carb float-bowl emptying. As such more than 95% of these bikes need thorough carb-cleaning back to factory-fresh condition. The bikes I've had refurbed back to factory-clean conditions do not need needle-shimming. That's still compensating for clogged carbs.

What is "easy" is often not proper & correct or high-performance. What is correct and proper operation, also yielding high-performance is often not "easy". So choosing between 30-minutes to add some shims or 20-60hrs of carb-cleaning? I can see why 95% of people take the easy way out. But it's only a temporary solution like cocaine or meth, the effects and results are not permanent. You'll be back for more...

Also note that your new-gen model (08-12), while sharing many similarities with pre-gen 88-07 models, also have some very clear differences. The pre-gen models have extremely aggressive cam-specs for 14.5k-redline and makes peak-HP at redline. New-gen models are tuned more for mid-range-torque, has about 10% less power which peaks at 11k and redlines around 13k. I don't ever rev past 12k anyway since torque&power drops off so fast after 11k that the bike is actually slower when spun up. However, I can make freeway passes without shifting on new-gen due to mid-range torque, while on pre-gen biks, I'd have to downshift 2-gears. The carb-tuning and ignition-mappings therefore are configured differently for these two different engines. Keep a note of that when reading this board; not all mods for pre-gens apply to new-gens and vice-versa.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote