View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think one problem is going to be cost, and I'm not sure that the cost curve bends down enough to ever make it feasible. The two main reasons this works well with propane tanks is that they are quite cheap, and nobody cares much about the technical differences from one propane tank to the next. Heck, Lowes will sell you a pre-filled 15lb propane tank for $15, or even only $12 if you bring your old one for trade.

Electric batteries are several orders of magnitude more expensive, and the technology is also advancing year over year, with owners of a 2019 battery having different performance expectations over 2017, 2015, 2013, etc. And while they do store energy, they aren't just the storage vessel like a fuel tank - their performance does vary, and does drop off over time, affecting their usefulness and desirability.

If the cost curve ever did get to the point where this was a workable solution, I'd imagine it would be on cheap, commodity transportation, more like those electric scooters, rather than something that people invested significant amounts of their own money to buy (motorcycles, cars, etc.).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote