View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:44 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
The issue: 20 to 30 minute warm up time, with choke on.
When warm, is a banshee right out of the gates from your sweeetest nightmare. It's really strong/crisp accelerating for a 250!

Now that it's mine, a few Q and A.

It has an aftermarket exhaust. ( yoshi triangular exhaust)
Stock airbox
Aftermarket needles/jet kit. ( i can get jet numbers in a few hours)

I can't quite tell if this is a full system, or slip-on, by looking at the headers) if this is a full system, i would THINK that the airbox would be removed, and an alternate filter/pod would be in place?

Mixture screws out 3-1/2 turns
Needles have clip 3rd from top, the plastic spacer, then two washers on top of the spacer.

That doesn't look/sound right to me, but always ran fine after warm up. I also don't know a good baseline to start.

Sorry if there is too much "TLR" but offering up what info I know, at the start.

Thx for any help identifying any issues.
That's crazy! Does it have a thermostat installed? You should be able to start it using some choke, but back it down quickly to hold about 2500 RPMs until it will stay running with no choke - which is usually in a minute or 2.

Something isn't right in the carbs. 3 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture is more than any of ours ever needed, and near that amount they didn't run well as they were overly rich.

Is the air filter in good condition and not breaking-down or overly oiled?

Check what the jets are, but normally a "jet kit" is overly rich. DynoJet kits use their own numbering system that isn't the same as OEM jets. The OEM Main Jet is already rich. The needle clip position is on the rich side, and then there are shims raising it more?

I'd also check for a vacuum leak and maybe pull the plugs to get a better idea of what's going on.

Seems like the carbs may need to be gone through (cleaned, adjusted, synced) and maybe the jetting corrected.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote