View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2019, 08:24 PM   #5
99blackturq
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 99 Ninja 250r

Alright! So I sent the carbs to ducatiman for a professional cleaning and he did a great job as per usual. Absolutely beautiful job, but once everything was back together the bike still doesn't seem to be right.

It starts on full choke, basically only full choke, and must be taken down slowly until it idles at about 1800 rpm, idles well, but it still doesn't respond to full throttle. Still symptoms of bogginess and still very reluctant to go over 6k.

However, it does ride somewhat, in first gear it will go to about 7-8k RPM and then when you shift into second it'll only rev to 6k if the throttle is about 10% open, no more or no less. You can gradually open up the throttle once it does start grabbing and it does give power, it's a lot of fun. In third gear it's basically the same deal except the throttle is even touchier to any kind of input. Basically to get it to about 35 mph it needs the 10% throttle and then you must keep it there to continue going about this speed. I wouldn't take it any faster than this because in 4th it's even less responsive and I don't think it would go above 45.

I'm thinking either the throttle cables are messed up, but it does rev correctly once it "grabs" in gear. It will also rev hard if you pull the throttle body open on the side. Still, not above 6k.

Maybe the clutch isn't doing it's job correctly, and once it gets to about 6k RPM it becomes too much and the clutch slips. Still not too convincing because the bike typically doesn't want to rev above 6K in neutral. And, typically, if the throttle is blipped the engine just bogs a bit and then comes back up to idle. The revs typically only rise if the throttle is given consistent input.

Sorry for any vague descriptions, but this is boggling me. Maybe the timing is off so severely that this is a problem. Not sure how that could be checked.

Any input is severely appreciated, as riding this bike even below 35 MPH was incredibly fun and I would love to take it out of my neighborhood. This is my first bike and I can't wait for it to work correctly. I feel like I'm SO close, like I need to fix just one more little thing at it'll be fine. It comes up to temp nicely, the fan works, all the electronics work, save for the turn signals and the integrated rear brake lights the previous owner wired in.

Maybe the issue could be wiring related? The harness certainly has been butchered by the previous owner. I just can't tell, it all seems to be done correctly.
99blackturq is offline   Reply With Quote