View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2019, 07:51 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturncal View Post
All was well with my suspension...and then SF roads happened. I hit what looked like a 8 inch deep pothole today and now my steering is all messed up. Lifting the front tire in the air, when my wheel is centered it always wants to fall to the left. And the forks feel weird...I can't put my finger on it. It's like the amount of fork dive increased 10 fold.

The the bike will randomly drift to different sides when riding and feel like the bike wants to turn whichever way it wants to
Bummer.

Check that the bearings are not loose. The tapered steering head bearing races are not easy to get fully seated. Last ones we did need adjustment a couple times before they settled down, and we were pretty sure we seated them fully.

Check that the wheel isn't bent, and look at the springs to see if one is damaged. Seems odd that it would happen, but may be a possibility.

You may need to loosen the fork tube clamp bolts, move things around to release any stress, and re-center the wheel.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote