Thread: Clip ons
View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Clip ons

I bought some Chinese clip ons ($50 shipped). I read that there's gonna be clearance issues with these, but I have some ideas of how to fix this (on the fairing and instrument cluster side of things).

Is there anything I should know about before hand, when aligning these? Does the angle matter much, compared to the stock angle? I didn't spend the money on the woodcraft ones, because they look almost identical (clip ons, not the low rise ones) and figured that it'd be a waste if they end up hitting the gas tank. Which brings me to my next question; is there any issues with extending the handle bars out further? As more towards the front of the bike? The reason I ask, is that I have a strong feeling that I'm just gonna end up machining my own clip on bracket (and reuse these bars), but one that sits further forward.

One thing that does piss me off, is why can't the cheap chinese one's be two piece like the woodcraft ones? That sucks that I have to take off the triple tree bracket to install them :/

Edit:

Holy crap. Removing the triple tree was cake, but everything else... f*****. I cut a lot out the front fairing, but it still needs more. These clip ons feel awesome (well, sitting on the bike). Heh, I hope I like them when actually riding the bike. I have them set really low ( 6 inches or more, lower than stock). The break line for the front break is gonna need to be modified/shortened. Clutch cable needs a new 'bent' metal part (the bend is too sharp now). The instrument cluster isn't going to fit back in as it. Probably gonna have to chop it up and make something new for the gauges. On the plus side (beside the awesome lower feel), I can actually see out the mirrors instead of just seeing myself in them ;>_>

After I finish cutting the front upper fairing, gonna need to find away to attach some plastic back in (the top lid parts). I'm hoping something other than JB weld would help with this (or plastic welding with some bondo).

Last futzed with by ninjaryda; April 11th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
ninjaryda is offline   Reply With Quote