View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #16
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, many of these come from same factories that make brand-name stuff.

Problem is greedy U.S. importers. You can get stuff built to any specifications you want from downright crappy all the way to space-age alien-tech. Of course, they'll be a HUGE price-variation between those extremes. The importers specify as low-quality as possible for the lowest-cost as possible in order to maximize profits. That's the problem. Look at all the horrible replacement tune-up electronics in auto-parts stores (distributors, ignition-coils, etc.). If you don't get OEM from dealers, you're pretty much guaranteed part will fail in less than 1-yr.

I used to have custom EFI systems for Porsches made in NZ. Then moved production to China and was surprised at how large of variations there can be. It was very tempting to push quality to bottom and make 10x as much profit as sourcing the parts from NZ... I probably wouldn't have been able to get away with it for long. So, mid-range specs for 2x higher profits as NZ was fine with me.

One of my friends supplies high-end home-theatre equipment. We're talking installations that cost more than actual movie theatres you buy tickets to go to. His stuff is top-notch, highest specs, 10-yr warranties. Guess where it's made? That's right, China!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote