View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #60
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemonkey View Post
Our manufacturer makes complete replacement tail light units for European suppliers. Therefore their tail lights have CE approval. However, as a minimum distance is required between turnsignals, Integrated Tail Lights do not have a road legal approval (apart from some states in the US and Canada where the same restrictions do not apply).

I have just checked five of our clear alternatives tail lights and they do not have DOT approval.
The required minimum seperation distance is what kills it for me. VA has annual inspections. Sometimes they check stuff like that, sometimes they don't.

Usually, the police also check the sticker number on your inspection sticker when they ticket for "faulty or altered equipment". If the state police notice that numbers sent to a particular inspection station get lots of tickets, well.....they set up a sting operation and he's toast. That's why most inspectors in my state are VERY careful to follow the book, or they're in legal hot water bad enough that the fines usually put them out of business. With the economy like it is, they can't afford to loose out like that. Happened a few years back, the last big round up put almost 15% of state vehicle inspection stations off the map state wide.

I love the product, though. NICELY cleans up the tail section of the bike. Couple it with proton flush mount fronts and it's a nicely refined look.