View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #104
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

no.

check diode pack b, there will be two red wires coming out of it, start bike and check them, they BOTH should have voltage when running. If it doesn't, the lights shouldn't work, jump the grey wire to blue again so that they do, leave the bike running, and check both red wires at the diode pack again. One of them should at least have voltage going thru it, the other (most likely the one across from the yellow will not. Follow this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
check your running voltage, it should be no less than 12.3v at idle. if its lower:

find this connector on the right side:

unplug it and hook up your tester to the plug with three yellow wires:

switch your tester to ohms and measure ( my tester is at .6 ohms with two leads touching each other, my reading it .9 - so the stator has .3 ohms resistance). I believe the spec is between 0.05 and .6 ohms for the stator, check all three yellow wires for the same resistance:

now check the each yellow wire for short to ground by putting the negative lead on battery negative and positive to each yellow wire, any reading means a short to ground, it should read nil:

Now switch the tester to AC volt reading, leave the test leads in the connector, start bike and bring engine up to 4,000 rpm (using the choke helps if you only have 2 hands). The output from stator should be around 40V A/C (when warm), check to make sure that they're about the same for all three yellow wires:

set your test leads:

voltage @ 4,000 rpm:

if the output is lower, stator is bad, if much higher, voltage regulator is damaged.

if no reading, sell bike as "old lady driven"
if stator checks out ok, then diode pack is faulty

Last futzed with by Asspire; June 19th, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: blah
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote