View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #119
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Maybe I missed it somewhere but, there is another component to the electrical system that you haven't checked. The rectifier is responsible for converting AC power to DC power so that the battery gets charged. You can't store AC voltage in a battery, only DC.
I'm looking at it now but I don't really see anything wrong with it? Wires all look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The rectifier/regulator is responsible for 3 phases (system ground, 12 VDC to the ignition and fuse box, & 12 VDC to the starter solenoid/mainfuse)

The alternator supplies power (AC) to the coil side of the headlight relay, the rectifier supplies power (DC) to the switch inside the relay via a fuse.
In between the alternator and headlight relay is Diode B. If the diode is bad it can also prevent the headlight relay from turning on the lights.

Just something else to check before getting ass deep into the stator.
Like I said im looking at the rectifier and I don't see anything physically wrong here. Though I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
I have two diodes if u need. I bought new ones chasing a problem and mine were fine.
Thanks man I appreciate it, but I don't think the diodes are my problem, but i'm not 100% sure

So I still have no idea what the problem is. I'm about ready to take this bad boy to the shop and have the professionals deal with it.

The stator wires look fine I followed them from top to buttom. I don't have the tester handy this weekend, so not a lot of testing to do.. But at that wiring pack for the stator cables I tried to test it before like you said @Asspire and I could not get a reading. Neither ac or dc.

I'm really believing my stator is the issue. It just makes sense, but i'm no where near 100% on that.

Current issues with bike:

-Headlights do not come on unless I jump the yellow/blue and gray wires at the relay.

-My brand new battery has died on my twice now. Once after buying it (guy at auto zone said it didn't need to be charged) and riding to work with, and then once after I've had it on a battery charger to fully charge it and riding it around my town.

I've tried 2 different auto parts stores relay's that should work and I get the same results as if my oem headlight relay was in there. So I'm not sure if this is the issue or not. I don't think it is... But I could be wrong.

I checked out that rectifier as mentioned above, but I don't see anything wrong with it physically.

All my wiring looks fine and don't see any obvious shorts anywhere.

This is very frustrating. I'm really tempted to buy a used stator off ebay for like 50 bucks. It looks super easy to change out, and I would know if thats a problem or not.. idk guys!

Thanks for all the continued help and support. Like I said I have learned a lot a long the way. My dad keeps telling me to just take it to the shop, but he doesn't understand wanting to learn myself and save LOTS of money...
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote