View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2019, 02:03 PM   #1
wtfemery
ninjette.org member

Name: Emery

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R

what could a torn carb diaphragm cause?

So, I bought a 2006 250r off my brother, and he cleaned the carbs and did a few other things before selling it to to me in unridable condition still. He gave me a few ideas of what to fix and one of them was that the tiny rubber gasket on one of the idle/mixture screws was missing, so i ordered a new set and planned on recleaning the carbs and adding new o rings. Well, once i took the carb apart, i noticed a little chunk tearing off of one of the two large diaphragms. I’ve attached a photo of what it looks like. I’ve halted the reassembly to order a new one, where the cheapest price for a new part was $80. sheesh!

Anyways, i’m wondering if that tear could cause the problems i’ve been having or it it was a result of the other o ring missing.

Basically, the bike has a bad idle and will only stay running with the choke on halfway for a few minutes before dying and not wanting to start again. i tried cranking it up the other day and i made it one block and absolutely could not start it again. (i tried to start it for about 5 minutes, probably flooding the crap out of it)

today when i pulled the bike out to take the carb off, i noticed fuel pouring out of the air box. I think i left the petcock open overnight but that shouldn’t have leaked so much. I apparently lost at least a gallon maybe two in a day. Was it just from me flooding now it or could fuel somehow leak through the diaphragm in the carb into the airbox?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B932F066-F4C6-4B35-8518-BADBD419878A.jpg (49.8 KB, 10 views)
wtfemery is offline   Reply With Quote