View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
I am still a rookie with probably 1000 miles in 2 years total experience, I always remind myself to push harder on them bars if I think I wont make the
turn.
this is true to an extent, but just to ensure that you're aware that it isn't a flawless thought process consider the following.

You're going down a road at a good clip, riding as fast as your visual skills will allow and whatnot, and you make a mistake by turning in early. You understand to slow down to the apex and power out like many riders do but you find yourself running wide. You continue your roll on and just tip it in more, the rear slides out and you're on the ground.

other side, same scenario of running wide. This time you push on the bars but you switch to maintenance throttle rather than continuing to roll on and you ride away (unless you were getting pretty damn low in the first place or you were crossed up on the bike)

Bikes love to be turned in on the brakes and hate to be turned in on throttle. It can be done but it's safer and more reliable to put as little strain on the bike as possible. I've crashed at the track due to trying to tip a bike in more while adding throttle very liberally before so I learned this the hard way.