View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoru View Post
Been riding 4 years but wanted to revisit a basic skill... how do you adjust your mirrors?

I learned in MSF to point them so you see some behind you, and some of the lanes to the side.

When reading "Proficient Motorcycling" he mentioned that someone points them only to the side. I switched to that a while ago and I find it way more useful. I see more of the adjacent lanes, and am not stressed by people behind me. I found previously I'd always be stressed about someone behind me, when really there is nothing you can do about that (I don't ride in passing lanes, etc...). It's still possible to get a sense of someone tailgating you when you turn, stop, etc...

I think realistically there is very little you can do with knowing what is behind you except at a stop, when usually you can angle the bike to see what's behind you anyway.

Just curious how other feels about this, has your ass been saved seeing what's behind you at all times?
I adjust mine to see as much around me and behind as possible. I actually avoided being punted from behind one time because I noticed the guy flying up behind me by seeing him in my mirrors. I could tell he wasn't going to stop in time so I lurched ahead and narrowly missed being rear ended. So...I'd be hesitant to not be able to see what is going on behind me.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote