View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #16
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I completely agree with everything mentioned in the previous posts. And x2 about getting Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It's a book aimed at more "real world" scenarios (beginner riders, commuters, your everyday rider). It's an easy read and easy to grasp.

Where as Keith Code's TOTW2 is more difficult to comprehend as a total beginner because it's hard to associate what he's talking about without the experience of being on two wheels under your belt.

There is also a video version of TOTW2 which breaks things down into very sizeable chunks that may be easier to understand than the book.

I would also suggest a more advanced riding school or course because a lot of these skills that the OP is asking about can be difficult to practice and learn proficiently without some hands on guidance.

A lot of riders think that they should get some miles and some practice under their belts before heading to a more advanced riding school but I disagree with that philosophy. I think that gaining more advanced skills immediately, in a safe and controlled environment like a track is the perfect place for someone like the OP to get the answers to his questions. The California Superbike School (where I've coached for the past 13 years) is a perfect example. We don't train riders that have never ridden a motorcycle before but as long as they have the basic controls understood then they can attend.

In level one of the school the students would learn proper counter-steering techniques and gain an understanding of one of the most fundamental and important techniques, throttle control among other important foundational skills.

Anyway, I'm happy to answer questions on the inter webs and think that forums, books and videos are a great option for learning but in my opinion, nothing beats heading to a riding school and getting hands on training, techniques and experience early on in your riding career so that you learn the proper techniques FIRST and don't have to go back and undue bad habits.

If you have any questions about the California Superbike School or Keith Code's books or videos please let me know! Happy learning and safe riding everyone!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote