Old May 16th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #20
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Good points on braking technique. Just some clarifications:

1. I really mean clutch & brake at same time. Track training on autos has "both feet in" suggestion. Similar on bikes. Because at some point, he's going to be in 2nd or 6th gear when he starts braking and won't have the luxury of squeezing clutch at the very end. Should practice clutching-in when braking. Whether to downshift and blip gear-by-gear or at very end is personal preference.
I still disagree. When I'm riding it's always brake first THEN clutch in, downshift/blip, clutch out (still maintaining pressure on the brake lever). Whether you are going from 6th to 2nd (turn 2 at Laguna Seca) you need to scrub off your speed first with the brakes and then downshift (with or without the clutch). Clutch pull in comes after.

If you're on the street and coming up to a stop light or stop sign I'd still get on the brakes first and pull in the clutch after I'm sufficiently slowed down. I can get lazy on the street and not downshift at a light but just pull in the clutch while still in 4th gear but I'd always do my braking first.

Maybe it's just a matter of wording here as there is a point where the brakes and the clutch will be engaged at the same time but it still follows the format of front brake first, clutch in, downshift, clutch out, or come to a stop with the clutch pulled in.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.