View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm interested in what Misti has to say too (because every time she posts, I learn something new), but I'll jump in here.

Transitions of any kind have the potential to upset the bike. Typically that happens when things are done too abruptly: grabbing the brake, whacking the throttle open, dumping the clutch. Smooth is where it's at. The bike is happier.

Consider that when you let out the clutch, if your speed, gear and revs aren't matched perfectly you're moving from free coasting to really noticeable engine braking. That's a significant transition. If you've selected too low a gear (as we all have, from time to time), it can be really upsetting to the chassis and even cause the rear to lose traction.

So if you're riding around with the clutch pulled in and held, you're forcing a situation where you must make multiple transitions (off the brakes, let out the clutch, roll on the throttle) all at about the same time, before you can go about your business. If you're in a calm, controlled situation, like rolling up to a red that's about to turn green, great.

But what if the situation changes?

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned from the track is that simplifying your workload is always a good thing. The less I have to do at any one time, the better, because I can pay more attention to high-priority things like brake lever pressure, turn-in point and line selection.

I see nothing "wrong" with rolling up to a red light with the bike in the correct gear to accelerate through and the clutch pulled in. But in the interest of consistency and good habits, I typically have the clutch out. The only time it's in is the brief moment of shifting and held in/feathered out when pulling away from a stop.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.