Thread: Race Tires 2017
View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #90
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Well, I'll be likely be going a different route next year. I just scored 5 sets of new Moto3/ 125GP-sized Dunlops for free, so it's worth it for me to try them out. The only catch is that they are 5 years old. Shouldn't be a big deal because they were stored properly. The 250 has handled pretty well all year, but I'm dragging the belly pan in some corners so I'll need to get the ride height back to where it is now. I'll measure the change in tire diameter then make new dog bones for the rear and lower the forks in the triples to get the ride height back to where it needs to be.

The one set of A-13 SP MotoAmerica takeoffs I put on the bike this year lasted the entire season. That would be six three hour endurance races plus practice (minus about three or four hours when we used rain tires.) I'd say a total of about 21 hours of on-track use so that's pretty good. The last race I was getting more sliding from the front than I like, so it was time for a new set. The back was worn down to the wear bars, but never really lost grip all season except for going over damp patches and the occasional movement/protesting under heavy braking and downshifting. We won five out of six endurance races with the narrowest margin of victory being four laps, so I'd say our overall pace was pretty good. However, we did not need to push to a sprint race level of pace, so that is a factor to consider.

If the new Q3 tires really are an improvement over the A-13s then they should be a solid choice for our little bikes. Still, my favorite tire so far has been the Pirelli Supercorsa. Without knowing how the Dunlop slicks will perform, the Pirellis are still my first choice for outright performance.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote