View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:37 PM   #268
blackiredi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R (track), '20 Street Triple 765 (street), '12 CRF150R SM (racing)

First, I love that this thread has been going for 7 years. Motorcyclists are half the reason motorcycles are awesome.

This has been great to read through. I started track riding about the same time (2014) as @Ducati999 and moved up to big bikes way too fast chasing speed. After a few crashes I checked my ego and started going down in displacement. I'm a solid B group rider now- still 10 seconds off my friends who race Ninja 250R's- but having more fun than ever. Nothing like catching the big bikes on the brakes and hounding them in the corners.

I'll share a few things that might be helpful to newer folks and hopefully not be too repetitive.

I have learned more on my ninjette than any other bike I have owned. Pushing the crap out of a little bike requires everything to be in place in order to keep up. Stay small as long as you can.

Kart tracks are the best for practice. Here in Oregon we run bikes at a kart track in McMinnville and have a club for track days. Cost is cheap, crashes are cheap and usually very minor, fun is high because risk is lower and speeds are lower. Laps are also shorter so you get to build muscle memory faster and can practice specific things without forgetting. I can't recommend kart tracks enough.

It has been mentioned, but suspension and tires. These are the biggest difference makers in my experience. I didn't know what "trusting the front" meant until I had proper suspension- I just couldn't feel it enough. And check tire pressures! If you know any racers, tear off slicks are usually around $40 a set and have plenty of life for us mortal folks (warmers needed though)

I have to build up to trusting what I run. Part of that for me is working on my bike and making sure I trust each bolt. Less things to worry about makes for more focus. #joey

My brain goes haywire when fear strikes. If I loose the front in a corner then the next lap I'm on high alert. Simple mantras help. Like just saying "focus" or "look up" really helps snap me back. Like Paul Atreides said "fear is the mind killer".

Maybe lastly, I am very middle aged and a big guy. Physical fitness is probably the biggest thing that holds me back at this point. It is hard for me to push for too many laps without becoming unsafe simply because I get gassed and loose focus. Fitness is my goal for next season.

I hope this thread never dies.

*last note. I've talked with a few ninjette racers. The common thread is that to be fast (their fast not mine) on these bikes you have to be totally committed and on gas at every moment. I am personally unwilling to do that for a myriad of reasons but what they do with these bikes gives me a lot of confidence in the bike as a package- especially if my suspension/tires/pressures etc are similar. And I am happy to grab confidence wherever I can.
blackiredi is offline   Reply With Quote