View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2022, 03:48 PM   #7
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
I bought my 250 R new in February 2012, and except two 12 month periods (2015-2016 and 2021-2022) it has been used for my daily 80 km / 55 miles commute. I have had it serviced roughly every 6000 km, according to schedule. Until now, I was told from the workshops servicing it that it never needed any valve adjustments. Now the exhaust valves had to be adjusted.
I have replaced a couple of lightbulbs and cured leaking fork seals twice, using the Sealmate tool. Apart from that, I just followed the service program, and changed tires, chain and sprockets.
I paid the 11557 NOK service bill today, included 7.25 work hours. (11557 NOK is about 1200 USD for the moment.
Now I was told that the following parts are worn, and soon ready for replacements:
* both brake rotors (just about 4 and 4.5 mm)
* clutch (plates and springs?)
* rear brake caliper (was worn and "sticking")
* rear wheel bearing
The bike has been treated well, and I'm in my fifties and finished with driving like a cartoon character and like I have eternal life.

I was surpriced to hear that the clutch is nearing the end of it's life, and that the brake rotors are this worn. Maybe that's just because I lack knowledge, and not because the workshop is hoping to grab my money from me soon asking to replace the mentioned parts..

Does this sound normal? Shouldn't a clutch normally last much longer than about 40 000 miles, for example?
Brake rotors?

Any others that would like to share their experiences?

After this service the Ninja hasn't been driven many kilometers.
Today the fuel light lit up, at irregular intervals, when I drove towards work.
I stopped at a gas station, noticing that there was plenty of gasoline inside the tank..
I tought it could have something to do with the recent service and drove directly to the dealership. The tank was filled up, some contact was cleaned (they said), and the light stayed off ... until maybe 70-80 kilometers later, on a trip with a friend. It started to light up again, sometimes being off only for a few hundred meters, before lighting up again.
I noticed that it seemed to happen on flat roads or when going downhill, but not when going up a hill (at least in the beginning).
Guess there could be something wrong with a sensor being located in the part of the tank being closest to me / the driver. Will have to search for a way to fix this, whatever the cause could be..

Last futzed with by Norway; September 30th, 2022 at 03:05 AM.
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote